Monday, February 27, 2012

Kim Dotcom Appeal

Kim Dotcom Appeal - Alleged internet pirate Kim Dotcom will appeal today's decision denying him bail, his lawyer says. Dotcom, a German millionaire and founder of file-sharing site Megaupload, was arrested on Friday on behalf of United States authorities, including the FBI, in a police raid at his $30m Coatesville mansion. US authorities were now seeking his extradition. They alleged Dotcom's company breached copyright laws costing copyright owners more than US$500m in what they call the "Mega Conspiracy". The 38-year-old, who was previously convicted of hacking and insider trading, has denied any wrongdoing. Dotcom was today remanded in custody, with judge David McNaughton saying he posed a "significant" flight risk. He will be held until February 22, when extradition papers are expected to be filed. However Dotcom's lawyer, Paul Davison, QC, said that decision would be appealed to the High Court. Davison spoke of the disappointment at the decision. "We were hopeful that the judge would accept our intentions and our arguments and see that there was no risk whatsoever of Kim Dotcom seeking to leave New Zealand. "All of his assets have been frozen, all of his resources have been taken," he said outside court. Kim Dotcom Appeal

No comments: